Wednesday, August 8, 2012

In the Raw

photo credit: muchadoaboutfooding.com
As a result of an invitation to attend a seminar for the book A Course in Miracles I received another invitation to take part in a "raw food experience". Anyone who knows me at all knows that I have a very special relationship with food, am a self proclaimed foodie of sorts and the chances that I would turn down an opportunity to take part in any type of food experience (especially a free one): slim to none.

I readily agreed and prepared my palate as best I could for whatever awaited me. Now, I feel I must say that I have toyed with the notion of having a strict plant based diet- knowing all of the benefits that come with it and have every time dismissed the notion heartily. One of my favorite foods is oxtail...how could I turn my back on such succulence? I could if I wanted to but the bottom line is I discovered I didn't want to- and over the years that has not changed. I also had the benefit of growing up in a household where, although the candy dishes were never empty, when I wanted a snack I was given fresh fruit generally. Not only were my meals balanced, delicious and interesting but my mother frequently prompted me to try new things (the responsibility of my appetite for new and wonderful vittles rests squarely on my mother's shoulders) her wisdom: "the worst thing that could happen is you don't like it and if you don't like it you don't have to eat it". Thanks mom- that was one of the best gifts you could have given me :) (I often scoff at how other people limit their diets to what is familiar- a tendency often reflected in how they live their lives...but there are so many dishes, cultural flares, ingredients and creativity...*sigh* on and on I could go)

I digress...perhaps. So anyhoo, I drove myself and my friend the short distance to where our fates awaited. We were ushered into a uber cat friendly home and invited to make ourselves comfy (I must say I was waiting for the other guests to arrive...but it was just us three) We were informed that there would be a feature film to accompany our meal. Eating, the 3rd edition was that film and as we watched we were served giant bowls of watermelon (my favorite fruit, REad: score!) and deep burgundy cherries.

(Stay tuned for my impressions of the movie in another post)

photo credit:antonvandenberg.wordpress.com
After the movie we began discussing all manner of things- of course beginning with the implications of a plant based diet, the political basis of our "good American diet", and moving into the state of our communities and ending with our personal experiences as truth seeking soulful beings.

Our discussion was punctuated by generous portions of a salad topped with a homemade cucumber and creamed cashew dressing. The evening ended with scoops of "apple surprise" consisting of finely chopped apple and cranberry. Not so bad, I secretly was expecting cups of beet juice and garden picked brussel sprouts (my least favorite vegetable). As I have found when like minded beings come together, free spirits seeking truth, I felt content and full and it had little to do with the physical food consumed. We communed and bonded over the shared experience of being a human seeking to realize our potential. We shared stories and insight in a comfortable environment and wisdom was shared in mutual respect for each others' unique view point and as the youngest of the bunch- I found that I had much to offer as well and it was received in mutual respect.

So my first raw food experience was successful and satisfactory on a few different levels- my kind of party :)

Have you had any raw food experiences?

Be Your Best You

CL


No comments:

Post a Comment